10 years of progressive experience in technical research and policy analysis, writing, lessons learned, advising diplomatic processes, organizing international conferences, and as a speaker at high-level events.
I welcome inquiries for consultancy work or speaking engagements in my areas of expertise: maritime security, capacity building, maritime domain awareness, maritime security strategies, navies, security and risk analysis, African security and the political dynamics in the Indian Ocean.
Experience in leading larger policy projects
project leader, funded by U.S. Department of State and supported by the EU European External Action Service, core output: Documentation of lessons learned in the campaign against piracy off the coast of Somalia.
project leader, funded by British Academy, core outputs: High-Level Symposium, best practice toolkit, policy report on maritime domain awareness.
Recent speaking engagements
- Naval Conferences: Galle Dialogue of the Sri Lanka Navy (2015); Goa Enclave of the Indian Naval War College (2017); Aman ’17 Exercise of the Pakistani Navy (2017).
- Diplomatic Events: Conference “Securing State Recovery: Sustaining Momentum at Sea, Confronting Instability on Land”, Dubai (2014); NATO Operations Policy Committee (2015); Plenary of the Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) ; G7 High Level Meeting on Maritime Security (2015), Regional Security Information Sharing Workshop, Pacific Island Forum (2018).
- Industry Conferences: Transport Security Expo (2012, 2013); BIMCO Maritime Security Seminar (2016).
- Professional Training: Course on Maritime Security, European Security and Defense College (2014, 2015).
Experience as advisor and reviewer
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of Seychelles, advisor to the chairmanship of the Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia (CGPCS, 2016-2017); advisor to the Seychelles Maritime Security Strategy Working Group (2017-2018).
- International Maritime Organisation, support for the Djibouti Code of Conduct process, facilitator at workshop (2018).
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Germany, advisor on maritime security to G7 presidency (2015).
- European Commission, technical reviewer of FP7 project IPATCH on maritime domain awareness (2015-2017).
- Framework International, technical reviewer of EU maritime security capacity building project (2016).
- European Report on Development, research assistant, 2009.
Examples of Policy Writing
- Effective Maritime Domain Awareness in the Western Indian Ocean. Policy Brief 104, June 2017, Institute for Security Studies: Pretoria, https://issafrica.org/research/policy-brief/effective-maritime-domain-awareness-in-the-western-indian-ocean
- Mastering Maritime Security. Reflexive Capacity Building and the Western Indian Ocean Experience. A best practice toolkit, Cardiff: SafeSeas (co-authored with Timothy Edmunds), February 2018, doi: 10.5281/zenodo.1157961.
- NATO’s fight against Somali pirates: the end of an unsung success story, Piracy-Studies.org Blog, December 2016, http://piracy-studies.org/natos-fight-against-somali-pirates-the-end-of-an-unsung-success-story/
- Migration crisis in the Mediterranean. A Contact Group is needed, Center for International Maritime Security Blog, 31.3.2015, available at http://cimsec.org/migration-crisis-mediterranean-contact-group-needed/15660
Available upon request.