I have 15+ years of progressive experience in technical research and policy analysis, writing, lessons learned, best practice development, advising diplomatic processes, organizing international conferences, as moderator, facilitator and speaker at high-level events as well as a trainer.
I welcome inquiries for consultancy and training work or speaking engagements in my areas of expertise: maritime security governance, capacity building, critical maritime infrastructures, maritime domain awareness, maritime security strategy, naval engagement and strategy, maritime security operations, security and risk analysis, African security and the political dynamics in the Indian Ocean and Indo-Pacific region.
Recent consultancy roles
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of Seychelles, advisor to the chairmanship of the Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia (CGPCS, 2016-2017); advisor to the Seychelles Maritime Security Strategy Working Group (2017-2018), advisor to the Chair of the Strategic Panning Steering Group of the CGPCS (2020-2021).
- European Parliament, Subcommittee on Security and Defence (SEDE), co-author of study on Subsea Data Cable Protection in Europe (2021-2022).
- Indian Ocean Commission, co-author of study on the future of the security architecture in the Western Indian Ocean (2019).
- International Maritime Organization, support for the Djibouti Code of Conduct, facilitator at workshop (2018).
- UN Office on Drugs and Crime, Global Maritime Crime Programme, drafting of guidelines on submarine cable protection (2019), review of environmental crime at sea (2019), study on maritime security and climate change (2020).
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Germany, adviser on maritime security to G7 presidency in preparation of High Level Panel on Maritime Security (2015).
- European Commission, technical reviewer of FP7 project IPATCH on maritime domain awareness (2015-2017).
- Framework International, technical reviewer of EU maritime security capacity building project (2016).
- European Report on Development, research assistant (2009).
Experience in leading larger policy projects
project leader, funded by U.S. Department of State and supported by the EU European External Action Service, core output: Documentation of lessons learned in the campaign against piracy off the coast of Somalia.
project leader, funded by British Academy, core outputs: High-Level Symposium, best practice toolkit, policy report on maritime domain awareness.
Recent speaking engagements
I regularly speak at international events on maritime security and ocean governance, including military and diplomatic forums. See here for a full list of recent speeches.
- European Parliament, Sub-Committee on Security and Defense (2022), European Defence Agency (2022)
- Naval Conferences: Galle Dialogue of the Sri Lanka Navy (2015, 2018); Goa Enclave of the Indian Naval War College (2017); Aman Exercise of the Pakistani Navy (2017, 2019); Shared Awareness and Deconfliction (SHADE) meeting (2021, 2022), Australian Seapower Conference (2022).
- Diplomatic Events: Conference “Securing State Recovery: Sustaining Momentum at Sea, Confronting Instability on Land”, Dubai (2014); NATO Operations Policy Committee (2015); Plenary of the Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020) ; G7 High Level Meeting on Maritime Security (2015); Pacific Island Forum Regional Security Information Sharing Workshop (2018); High Level Meeting of Djibouti Code of Conduct (2018, 2019), FishCrime Symposium (2018), EU Military Committee (2021), G7++ Friends of the Gulf of Guinea (2020)
- Industry Conferences: Transport Security Expo (2012, 2013); BIMCO Maritime Security Seminar (2016, 2018), MAST Northern Coasts (2019).
Experience in Training
- Singapore Navy, Information Fusion Centre, Regional Maritime Practitioner Programme (RMPP), Instructor, Singapore (2022).
- Institute for Security Governance, Defense Security Cooperation Agency, Monterey, California, Trainer, Course on ‘Civil-Military Approaches to Maritime Security’ (2019).
- UN Office on Drugs and Crime, Global Maritime Crime Programme, Trainer, Modules on environmental crime, maritime security governance, and strategy, Staff Training Course (2009).
- European Security and Defense College, Rome, Trainer, Course on Maritime Security (2013, 2014).
Examples of Policy Writing
- Does Maritime Security Require a New United Nations Structure? Global Observatory, 26.8.2021.
- Green Shipping Must Go Beyond Decarbonization, Maritime Executive, 10.12.2021 (with Jan Stockbruegger).
- Uniting nations: developing maritime domain awareness for the ‘Blue Pacific’, The Strategist, 8 May 2018 (with Anthony Bergin).
- Effective Maritime Domain Awareness in the Western Indian Ocean. Policy Brief 104, June 2017, Institute for Security Studies: Pretoria.
- Mastering Maritime Security. Reflexive Capacity Building and the Western Indian Ocean Experience. A best practice toolkit, Cardiff: SafeSeas (co-authored with Timothy Edmunds), February 2018.
- NATO’s fight against Somali pirates: the end of an unsung success story, Piracy-Studies.org Blog, December 2016,
- Migration crisis in the Mediterranean. A Contact Group is needed, Center for International Maritime Security Blog, 31.3.2015.
Available upon request.