10 years of progressive experience in technical research and policy analysis, writing, lessons learned, advising diplomatic processes, organizing international conferences, and as a moderator and speaker at high-level events.
I welcome inquiries for consultancy work or speaking engagements in my areas of expertise: maritime security, capacity building, maritime domain awareness, maritime security strategies, navies, security and risk analysis, African security and the political dynamics in the Indian Ocean and Indo-Pacific region.
Experience in leading larger policy projects
project leader, funded by U.S. Department of State and supported by the EU European External Action Service, core output: Documentation of lessons learned in the campaign against piracy off the coast of Somalia.
project leader, funded by British Academy, core outputs: High-Level Symposium, best practice toolkit, policy report on maritime domain awareness.
Recent speaking engagements
- Naval Conferences: Galle Dialogue of the Sri Lanka Navy (2015); Goa Enclave of the Indian Naval War College (2017); Aman ’17 Exercise of the Pakistani Navy (2017).
- Diplomatic Events: Conference “Securing State Recovery: Sustaining Momentum at Sea, Confronting Instability on Land”, Dubai (2014); NATO Operations Policy Committee (2015); Plenary of the Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) ; G7 High Level Meeting on Maritime Security (2015); Pacific Island Forum Regional Security Information Sharing Workshop (2018); Meeting of Djibouti Code of Conduct (2018).
- Industry Conferences: Transport Security Expo (2012, 2013); BIMCO Maritime Security Seminar (2016).
- Professional Training: Course on Maritime Security, European Security and Defense College (2014, 2015).
Experience as advisor, facilitator, and reviewer
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of Seychelles, advisor to the chairmanship of the Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia (CGPCS, 2016-2017); advisor to the Seychelles Maritime Security Strategy Working Group (2017-2018).
- International Maritime Organisation, support for the Djibouti Code of Conduct process, facilitator at workshop (2018).
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Germany, advisor on maritime security to G7 presidency in preperation of High Level Panel on Maritime Security (2015).
- European Commission, technical reviewer of FP7 project IPATCH on maritime domain awareness (2015-2017).
- Framework International, technical reviewer of EU maritime security capacity building project (2016).
- European Report on Development, research assistant (2009).
Examples of Policy Writing
- Uniting nations: developing maritime domain awareness for the ‘Blue Pacific’, The Strategist, 8 May 2018 (with Anthony Bergin).
- Effective Maritime Domain Awareness in the Western Indian Ocean. Policy Brief 104, June 2017, Institute for Security Studies: Pretoria.
- Mastering Maritime Security. Reflexive Capacity Building and the Western Indian Ocean Experience. A best practice toolkit, Cardiff: SafeSeas (co-authored with Timothy Edmunds), February 2018.
- NATO’s fight against Somali pirates: the end of an unsung success story, Piracy-Studies.org Blog, December 2016,
- Migration crisis in the Mediterranean. A Contact Group is needed, Center for International Maritime Security Blog, 31.3.2015.
Available upon request.