Christian Bueger is Professor of International Relations at the Department of Political Science, University of Copenhagen. He is also an honorary professor of the University of Seychelles, a research fellow at the University of Stellenbosch and the Co-Director of the SafeSeas network.
Previously he was professor of international relations at Cardiff University and held visiting fellowships at the National University of Singapore (2015 & 2018), University College London (2015) and the University of Copenhagen (2013 & 2014). He was a Leverhulme Fellow at the Greenwich Maritime Institute, London (2011) and a research fellow at the Institute for Development and Peace, Duisburg, Germany (2010).
Professor Bueger is the author, co-author and editor of several books and articles on global governance, international practice theory, the politics of expertise, maritime security, and contemporary maritime crime. In his current grant funded projects he is studying regional responses to maritime crime in the Indo-Pacific and maritime security practices in Ghana. His research has been funded by the UK’s Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), the British Academy, the Leverhulme Trust Fund, and the Danish Development Agency (DANIDA). In 2013 he was recipient of an ESRC future research leader award.
He was the lead editor (Europe) of the European Journal of International Security (Cambridge UP) from 2014 to 2019, and the founding editor of piracy-studies.org – the research portal for maritime security (until 2019). Actively combining research with practical work he regularly act as consultant and speaker at conferences on international policy, maritime security and transport security. His research has featured in different media, including, among others, ITV, The Guardian, Africa Renewal, Veja or The New Internationalist.
He obtained his PhD in Political and Social Sciences from the European University Institute, Florence, Italy (2010). During his PhD studies, he was a visiting researcher at Cornell University and a research assistant to the European Report on Development 2009. Prior he graduated as a Diplom-Politologe from the Goethe University Frankfurt am Main and worked as a research assistant at the Institute for Social Research, Frankfurt am Main and the Peace Research Institute Frankfurt.
View Short CV (1/2020) – Full CV (1/2020)
Fields of Research
International Organizations; International Political Sociology; Security Studies; Global Governance; Sociology of Science, Knowledge and Expertise; International Practice Theory; Experiments; Interpretive Methodology (Praxiography); Maritime Security; Ocean Governance; Maritime Domain Awareness; Contemporary Maritime Piracy; Indo-Pacific Region.
PhD 2010 (European University Institute, Political and Social Science). Thesis Title: ‘The New Spirit of Technocracy? Ordering Practice in United Nations Peacebuilding’, submitted in July 2010. Examining Committee: Friedrich Kratochwil (European University Institute, supervisor), Iver Neumann (Norwegian Institute of International Affairs), Gunther Hellmann (Goethe-University Frankfurt), Pascal Vennesson (European University Institute).
M.Res. 2006 (European University Institute, Political and Social Science, ungraded).
M.Res./BA 2002 (‘Diplom-Politologe’, Goethe-University Frankfurt, Political Science, first class).
Postgraduate Certificate in University Teaching and Learning 2014 (Cardiff University)
Research Grants & Fellowships
- Danish Development Agency (DANIDA), Project ‘Analyzing Maritime Insecurity in Ghana (AMARIS)’, 3/2020-9/2022 (PI).
- Economic and Social Research Council, Partnership for Conflict, Crime and Security Research, Project ‘Transnational Organised Crime at Sea (TOCAS)’, 1/2019-12/2021 (Co-I, PI: Tim Edmunds).
- National University of Singapore, Asia Research Institute, Senior Visiting Research Fellowship, 4-6/2018.
- British Academy, Sustainable Development grant, GF16007, Project ‘Safe Seas. A Study of Maritime Capacity Building in the Western Indian Ocean, 12/2016-3/2017 (PI).
- U.S. Department of State, Grant for carrying out a Lessons Learned Project for the Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia (CGPCS), 2/2014-8/2017.
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), Global Challenges Research Fund Impact Acceleration Award, “Improving the Coordination of Maritime Security in the Western Indian Ocean”, 9-12/2016.
- Cardiff University, University Research Leave Fellowship, 8/2017-7/2018.
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), Future Research Leader grant, ES/K008358/1, Project “Counter-Piracy Governance: A Praxiographic Analysis”, 10/2013-11/2016.
- University College London (UCL), Department of Science, Technology, Engineering and Public Policy (STEaPP), summer visiting fellowship in science & diplomacy, 6-8/2015.
- Cardiff University, Grant for developing collaboration on maritime research with Xiamen University, 8/2014-8/2015 (with Peter Sutch).
- National University of Singapore, Centre for International Law, visiting fellowship, 3-5/2015.
- Great Western 4 University Alliance, Grant for developing a security research network, 5-12/2014 (with Tim Edmunds, Doug Stokes & David Galbreath).
- University of Copenhagen, Centre for Advanced Security Theory, visiting fellowship, 3-12/2013.
- The Leverhulme Trust, visiting fellowship grant for conducting research on maritime piracy at the Greenwich Maritime Institute, University of Greenwich, 5/2011-2/2012.
- University of Constance, Fellowship of the Institute of Advanced Studies Constance ‘Cultural Foundations of Integration’, 2011 (declined).
- University of Duisburg-Essen, Small Research Grant for a project on contemporary piracy, 4-12/2010 (with Sascha Werthes).
- SGIR Young Researcher Workshop Grant for a workshop on international organizations research, 9/2009.
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), Grant for Doctoral Studies at the European University Institute, 9/2005 – 8/2008.
- PUC Rio, 8/2019.
- Peace Research Institute Frankfurt, 7/2019.
- Institut de Recherche Stratégique de l’Ecole Militaire, 5/2019.
- National University of Singapore, 1/2019.
- 9th Galle Dialogue 2018, Sir Lanka Navy, Sri Lanka, 10/2018.
- University of Melbourne, 3/2018.
- Military Academy of South Africa, 1/2018
- Indian Naval War College, Goa, 11/2017.
- University of Toronto, 9/2017.
- University of Cape Town, 6/2017.
- Instituto Universitário Militar, Lisbon, 5/2017.
- University of Stellenbosch, 5/2017.
- University of Seychelles, Mahe, 3/2017.
- 7th International Maritime Conference, Bahria University, Karachi, 2/2017.
- Edinburgh University, Edinburgh, 5/2016.
- Centre for International Peace and Security Studies, McGill University, Montreal, 4/2016.
- U.S. Naval War College, Newport, 3/2016.
- G7 High Level Meeting on Maritime Security, Berlin, 12/2015.
- Galle Dialogue 2015, Sri Lanka Navy, Sri Lanka, 11/2015.
- Department of Politics and International Studies, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), 11/2015.
- Centre for Global Cooperation Research, University of Duisburg-Essen, 10/2015.
- Hebrew University of Jerusalem, ISL, 5/2015.
- Department of International Relations, Xiamen University, CHN, 5/2015.
- Center for International Law, National University of Singapore, SG, 4/2015.
- Department of Political Science, National University of Singapore, SG, 4/2015.
- NATO, Operations Policy Committee, NATO HQ Brussels, 2/2015 [pdf].
- Centre for Globalisation and Governance, University of Hamburg, DE, 12/2014.
- Department of Law, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, DK, 12/2014.
- Conference “Securing State Recovery: Sustaining Momentum at Sea, Confronting Instability on Land”, Dubai, UAE, 10/2014.
- Plenary of the Contact Group on Piracy off the Coast of Somalia, 10/2014, 7/2015, 5/2016.
- European Security and Defense College, Rome, IT, 10/2014.
- Friedrich Ebert Foundation, Addis Ababa, ET, 6/2014.
- Central European University, Budapest, HU, 3/2014.
- Goethe University Frankfurt, DE, 2/2014.
- Act for Somalia, Bristol, UK, 2/2014.
- Global Insecurities Centre, University of Bristol, UK, 2/2014.
- Centre for the Study of Knowledge, Expertise and Science, Cardiff University, UK, 2/2014.
- Copenhagen Business School (CBS), Copenhagen, DK, 12/2013.
- Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI), Rome, IT, 11/2013 [pdf summary]
- Centre for the Sociological Study of Science, Expertise & Society, University of Copenhagen, DK, 11/2013.
- Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Oslo, NO, 10/2013.
- 3rd Conference on Strategic Theory, Faculty of Military Sciences, University of Stellenbosch, Dar es Salam, TZ, 9/2013.
- British Royal Navy, HMS Bulwark, at Sea, UK, 4/2013.
- Hudson Conference on Maritime Crime and Development, Merton College, Oxford University, UK, 1/2013, 4/2014, 3/2015.
- Crime Narrative in Context Network, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK, 12/2012.
- Transport Security Expo Maritime Conference, London, UK, 11/2012, 11/2013.
- Belgrade Security Forum, Belgrade, RS, 9/2012.
- University of Witwatersrand, Acornhoek, ZA, 6/2012.
- Centre for Theoretical Studies, University of Essex, Colchester, UK, 5/2012.
- Cardiff Centre for Crime, Law and Justice, Cardiff University, UK, 5/2012.
- Fazaldad Human Rights Institute, Karachi, PK, 3/2012.
- National Centre for Maritime Policy Research, Bahria University, Karachi, PK, 11/2011.
- Westminster Forum, Centre for the Study of Democracy, University of Westminster, London, UK, 10/2011.
- Greenwich Maritime Institute, Greenwich University, London, UK, 10/2011.
- Hanns Seidel Foundation, DE, 10/2010.
- Centre for Advanced Security Theory, University of Copenhagen, DK, 5/2010, 10/2013.
- DeMontfort University, Leicester, UK, 1/2010.
- Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI), Oslo, NO, 12/2008.
- Cornell University Peace Studies Program, Graduate Seminar, Ithaca, USA, 5/2008.
- UNESCO World Forum of Cultures, Monterrey, MX, 10/2007.
- European Journal of International Security, EJIS, Cambridge University Press, Lead Editor Europe (2014-2019).
- Piracy-Studies.Org – Research Portal for Maritime Security, Associate Editor (2010-2019).
- New Perspectives: Interdisciplinary Journal of Central & East European Politics & International Relations, Member of the Editorial Board.
- Private Security Studies Book Series, Routledge, Member of the Advisory Board
- International Political Sociology Best Paper Award Committee 2014, International Studies Association
- International Political Sociology Book Award Committee 2015, International Studies Association
- Charles Taylor Book Award 2016, American Political Science Association
- Best Paper Award, Science, Technology, Art and International Relations Committee 2017, International Studies Association
- Member of the International Studies Association (ISA), Member at Large International Political Sociology (IPS) Section (2014-2016), Member at Large Science, Technology, Art & International Relations (STAIR) Section (2014-2018).
- Member of the European International Studies Association (EISA),
- Affiliated Member of Corbett Centre for Maritime Policy Studies, Kings College London,
- Member of the Center for International Maritime Security (CIMSEC),
- Member of the Indian Ocean Research Group (IORG),
- Member of Cardiff Centre for Crime, Law and Justice (CCLJ), Cardiff University,
- Fellow of the Crime and Security Research Institute, Cardiff University,
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Honorary Professor of the University of the Seychelles (2016-2019).
- Research Fellow at the Faculty of Military Science, University of Stellenbosch (2017-2020).
- Member of the Global Initiative against Transnational Organized Crime Expert Network.
- Member of the Center for Global Criminology, University of Copenhagen.
I participate in different roles (panel convener, discussant, panel chair, or paper giver) in the following conferences:
- Annual conference of the International Studies Association ISA (annually 2005-2017, 2019-2020),
- Bi-annual conference of Standing Group of International Relations of the ECPR / European International Studies Association EISA (2004, 2010, 2015, 2017-2019),
- Annual conference of the American Political Science Association APSA (2009, 2015),
- Interpretative Policy Analysis IPA Conference (2009, 2010, 2012),
- Conference of the World International Studies Committee WISC (2011, 2014),
- Annual conference of the British International Studies Association BISA (2012, 2015, 2016, 2019),
- Annual conference of Millennium: Journal of International Studies, LSE (2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014),
- Social Studies of Science (4S) and European Association of Science and Technology Studies (EASST) Conference (2004).
Service as Referee
- Review of grant proposals for Economic and Social Research Council, UK (12 proposals), Estonian Research Council (2 proposal), European Research Council (2 proposals), Czech Science Foundation (1 proposal), National University of Ireland (1 proposal), Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (4 proposals), Israel Science Foundation (1 proposal), Royal Society (1 proposal).
- Peer Review for National Research Foundation (NRF) South Africa (4 proposals).
- Annual technical review for the European Union FP7 project IPATCH, 2015-2017.
- Member of the Economic and Social Research Council Global Challenges Research Fund Peer Review Group (2016-2018).
- External Examiner for Aarhus University (PhD), National University of Singapore (PhD), Leiden University (MRes), National University of Ireland Maynooth (PhD), Newcastle University (PhD), University of the Life Sciences, Oslo (MSc), University of Kent (PhD), University of St. Andrews (PhD), University of Tartu (PhD), University of Toronto (PhD).
- Review of book manuscripts for Elsevier, Hurst, Palgrave MacMillan, Polity Press, University of Michigan Press, Routledge Press and SAGE.
- Review of article manuscripts for African Affairs / African Security Review / Austrian Journal of Political Science / British Journal of Political Science / British Journal of Politics and International Relations / Contemporary Security Policy / Cooperation and Conflict / Dalhousie University / European Journal of International Relations / Foreign Policy Analysis / GeoForum / Global Change, Peace & Security / Global Policy / International Journal of Intelligent Defence Support Systems / International Organization / International Relations / International Peacekeeping / International Political Sociology / International Studies Perspectives / International Studies Quarterly / International Studies Review / International Theory / International Peace Institute, NYC / Journal of African Studies and Development / Journal of Common Market Studies / Journal of Development Studies / Journal of History of Science and Technology / Journal of International Organizations Studies / Journal of International Relations and Development / Journal of Intervention and Statebuilding / Journal of Regional Security / Journal of the Indian Ocean Region / London Review of International Law / Marine Policy / Millennium: Journal of International Studies / Ocean Development and International Law / Organization Studies / Oxford Bibliographies Online / Oxford Handbooks Online / Peacebuilding / Peace Economics, Peace Science and Public Policy / Policy Studies Journal / Political Geography / Political Studies / Politics / Qualitative Sociology / Review of International Studies / Sicherheit + Frieden / Security Dialogue / Security Studies / Theoria: A Journal of Social and Political Theory / Third World Quarterly / Zeitschrift für Friedens- und Konfliktforschung / Zeitschrift für Internationale Beziehungen.
I have supervised three PhD projects to completion. Projects were on the militarization of US counter-narcotics (Ivan Benneyworth, 2016), the effect of media development in post-conflict environments (Kerstin Tomiak, 2017), and maritime security cooperation in the Mediterranean (Shaazwanis Shukri, 2017).
I am considering proposals for PhD projects in my core areas of research especially the fields of international practice theory, global governance, sociology of science and expertise, infrastructure, maritime security, or transnational organized crime.